Saturday, October 20, 2012

Closer to Fine

 I saw the Indigo Girls last night for the first time since I was 15 and it was awesome. In high school I didn't really have friends who liked the same music as me. I actually didn't have many friends who liked any of the things I liked - one reason that high school was a turbulent time. So when the Indigo Girls announced they were coming to Milwaukee (1.5 hrs away), my dad agreed to drive me to the concert and see the show with me at the Riverside Theater. He was probably one of 15 men in the whole venue. At intermission he went into the bathroom and came running back out, horrified look on his face, thinking he had misread the sign and accidentally walked into the women's room (he didn't realize that at an Indigo Girls concert, the concept of a "mens' room" was not entirely a strict one). Then he bought me a shirt that I still wear as jammies and drove me back to Madison while I slept in the car, as I am known to do.

This story is a good example that Eli might cite to illustrate the impossible standard my dad set for all subsequent men in my life.


Well Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety 'til I sank it
I'm crawling on your shore

1 comment:

Olive Knitting said...

very sweet story! thanks for sharing.

Follow THis Blog with Bloglovin

Follow The Lulu Bird