Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Printing canvas bags (an "I Heart Art" adventure)

Why yes, it's true! On this lovely Valentine's Day, I printed a hundred canvas bags for the Art Therapy Institute's "I Heart Art" fundraiser this weekend. I don't have printmaking equipment - not even silk screens - so I just sort of used what I had and made it work. They're not perfect, but they're sweet and handmade and I think they'll be cute at the fundraiser.
It took a lot of time to make so many, but the process was actually really easy. And I took a bunch of pictures so you can see how to do it, too. 
Here are the materials:
Acrylic paint
Contact paper
X-acto knife
Foam brush
Canvas bag (or whatever you want to print on)
A piece of cardboard (not pictured)
First, cut a heart (I did it free-hand, but you could trace one if you want it to be more precise) out of a piece of contact paper using an X-acto knife (do this on a cutting mat or piece of cardboard to protect your surfaces). Then peel the backing off the contact paper and place the stencil on a canvas bag.
Place the piece of cardboard inside the bag so paint doesn't leak through the back. Using a foam brush,  fill in the heart with a layer of acrylic paint.
Gently peel off the stencil, remove cardboard, and set aside to dry.
Repeat 100 times (I used the same stencil for all 100 - it got less sticky but still did the trick!).
(This project has been approved by Darby)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

may i buy 2 or 3? if so, how much ??
love, mom

gportelli said...

quite the process. good work!

markkfinn said...

There are so many marketing items that have different kinds of imprinting.

scrapbook supplies

Hillary said...

YOU ROCK!!! THANKS FOR TAKING THIS ON!!

Follow THis Blog with Bloglovin

Follow The Lulu Bird