Saturday, January 23, 2010

love is pain?

this is the goat cheese squash pasta i made for dinner tonight:

i have a love-hate relationship with squash: it is 95% love and 5% hate, and the hate is based entirely on how damn difficult it is to chop. peeling and dicing a big butternut squash takes all my strength and leaves my wrist aching. i know i'm not exactly buff, but i feel like a pathetic little whimp when cutting up a vegetable leaves me exhausted and in pain. maybe part of the problem is that i don't have "fancy" knives?

internet friends, help me. do you struggle with this, or am i just a whiner? i've heard of people who boil/bake/microwave the squash a bit before peeling and chopping it, but my recipes never say to do that, and i don't want to alter the flavor, which i LOVE... teach me your ways!?

3 comments:

ELINtm said...

Ooooh yes, I sympathise, they are swines to peel. I just heard not to bother peeling it, eat the skin and all. :)

Anonymous said...

A dietitian told me that boiling any veggie will leech some of the nutrients out - I don't know if it alters the flavor also...

mjb said...

I felt the same way until I started using Victorinox serrated paring knives. They have like 4" blades, but they cut up anything and you don't have to apply the pressure of a big long chef's knife. Plus, they're like $5 on Amazon. Really, the best things.

Follow THis Blog with Bloglovin

Follow The Lulu Bird