Friday, August 21, 2009

sad day

i was 14 when we got teddy. my dad and i drove to iowa to pick him up - we met a whole litter of puppies, but teddy was The One. he was 8 weeks old and so small. he rested in my lap in the backseat of the car the whole 6 hour drive drove back to madison.

he was so cute, and thank goodness for that - because he turned out to be quite a handful. he was a barker and a whiner and a jumper, and as the baby of the house, he was more than a little spoiled.

but he was also smart and sweet and neurotic and so oddly human. when my sister and i still lived at home, teddy didn't like it when we were in different rooms of the house - his herding instincts would kick in and he would try to round us all up into one place. this apparently made him much more comfortable - when we were all together in one space, teddy was the most relaxed. he demonstrated this which by only chewing on his toys when more than one person was present.

over the years, a lot has changed. my sister and i went away to college, my parents got divorced and sold the house. i lived on my own in madison, and then moved to chicago for grad school. about a year ago, teddy was diagnosed with cancer. since then, my dad has made sure he got the best care and treatments know to dogkind. at one point, teddy even went into remission for a while, but the cancer did come back, and today a vet technician came to the house and put him down, in the comfort of home, with my dad (his constant companion) by his side.

it is amazing, how much love it's possible to feel for a dog. i am better because i have known it. we love you tons and tons, little ted.

11 comments:

annapate said...

oh lizzie, i am sorry pumpkin. teddy was a good dog and very lucky to have such a loving family. love u & wish i could take you out for some consolatory gelato.

Bagladee said...

Hi Lizzie, I read that with a lump in my throat. He was truly a sweet dog, we had a westie called Dougal who passed away last year. Its heartbraking but I wouldn't have lived my life without him.
Hugs to you, lovely photos of Ted.

xx

RedRubyonFire said...

Sorry to hear about your dog...

Lisa said...

Liz,
Sincere condolences on the loss of your dear, sweet friend. Thinking of you as you continue your journey.

Kate8085 said...

Oh, so sorry to hear this.
Our pups are our babies, so I understand your pain. You, your family, and that sweet little man are in our thoughts.

Megan said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear. I remember when they had to put down our little Mushu (shih-tzu). It was very hard.

gportelli said...

lizzie, i'm so sorry to hear about your little fluff-kins. i hope you are doing ok.

PonderandStitch said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this... how wonderful, though, to have had such a loving animal in your life for so long. That first photo is precious..

the Lost Earring said...

So sorry to hear this :(

parallel-botany said...

Oh jeez, I'm sorry about your sweet pup. It sounds like he had a good life with you and your family. I hope you can find some solace in your many happy memories of him.

Revlis Queen said...

I remember when I heard that Izzy had been put down. I didn't even get to say goodbye. part of me is glad for that though- it was hard enough hearing of it; i can't imagine how hard participating in it would be. I miss Izzy. Luckily, puppy has turned out to be just as wonderful though.

Follow THis Blog with Bloglovin

Follow The Lulu Bird