Monday, May 18, 2009

some things are true

here is the final piece i made for my MA show.... i need to take some better photos of it this week - it's hanging in the betty rymer gallery at the art institute through the end of may. previous posts on this project can be found here, here, here, here and here.

and here is the statement that goes with...

"Some Things are True"
Fabric and Thread, 2009

During my year-long internship at a Chicago public elementary school, I facilitated individual and group art therapy with children ages 3-15. In response to this work, I created a series of hand embroidered fabric scraps that aims to recognize the bravery and insight of my student-clients, while also honoring the connections I have made with them.

Through the careful act of stitching words onto fabric, I acknowledge the sometimes simple, often profound interactions between art therapist and student. These connections and relationships are at the core of what draws me to this work, and remind me of the immense emotional intelligence I am lucky to have witnessed.

6 comments:

Little Monarch said...

what a lovely project!

trinsch said...

beautiful! loved the text. will look forward to more photos.

Meg said...

Have you stuck any stickers in unexpected places?

TheEclecticElement said...

That is an awesome project!
I can't wait to see the other pictures :D

mjb said...

very neat!

Flassie's Fil'a said...

What a great project!

I like the one on
flickr that says,

I like how quiet I feel
when I am drawing

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Follow THis Blog with Bloglovin

Follow The Lulu Bird