Sunday, April 26, 2009

Beaded Flowers

My great-grandmother Lee was an artist. Mostly she painted, but she also just made all kinds of things, all the time. She worked as a hat-maker off and on. I never met her, but she is a member of my family that I really identify with. My mom crochets sometimes, and I had one great aunt who was a knitter, but other than that no one is artistic or crafty in my family. I'm not sure where I came from, sometimes, because making things with my hands is so much a part of me.

One of the things my great-grandmother made was bouquets of beaded flowers. I can't even really imagine the time and patience that went into creating these. I can imagine her working on them though, and I really like picturing her in this process. I don't know how many she made, but here are some of the ones my mom has in various spots around her home:



4 comments:

TheEclecticElement said...

Those are incredible!
That is quite an art form.
I don't think I would be able to do that with all the little seed beads >.<

Meg said...

Do you know the Little Yellow Bird blog? I just found it and it make me think of your work.

gportelli said...

awesome. my hands are shaking just looking at that shit.

RhiannonSTR said...

Wow! Lovely.

http://rhiannonstr-daydreams.blogspot.com/

Follow THis Blog with Bloglovin

Follow The Lulu Bird